Inside:The Best Board Games For Teens: Great For Family Game Night
My teen never talks to me anymore.
My teen always wants to spend time with their friends.
I feel like I’m losing my child.
As our kids get older, connecting with them can become more difficult. However, sometimes we forget, that teenagers are still kids. They still like to play and have fun.
One of the best ways to re-engage your teen is to order a pizza and sit down for an old fashioned family game night. Yes, people still do that! In fact, I know several teens who will tell you it is one of their favorite family activities. Here are the best board games for teens, picked by teens!
This post may contain affiliate links.
We went to the “experts” (our teens and other people’s) to find out what board games for teens get the thumbs up from older kids.
Here are the selections they came up with and we know that they’ll have you and your teen laughing and just having fun together the way you used to when they were younger.
No one ever really outgrows family game night!
If you want to pick out a new board game quickly without going though ALL the potential options, these are without a doubt some of the newest or longest lasting hot board games for teens.
Top Ten Popular Board Games for Teens
- Earth – Earth is an open-world engine builder for 1 to 5 players with simple rules and countless strategic possibilities. It is a visually stunning game that engages players in building their own island with terrain and fauna and reveals unique connections every single time you play!
- Trekking -Featuring all 63 of the National Parks, this wildly popular game will take families on an adventure exploring all the natural wonders these public spaces have to offer right from your living room.
- 7 Wonders – Consistently ranked as one of the best boards game in existence for many years running, this strategic game makes you the leader of one of the seven greatest cities of the Ancient World. Gather resources, develop commercial routes and affirm your military supremacy. Build your city and erect an architectural wonder which will transcend future times.
- Root – Root is a game of adventure and war where 2 to 4 players battle for control of a vast wilderness. Players drive the narrative and the differences between each role create an unparalleled level of interaction and replayability.
- Scythe – It is a time of unrest in 1920s Europa. The capitalistic city-state known simply as “The Factory”, has closed its doors, drawing the attention of several nearby countries. Lead your faction to victory, building mechs, working the land, and exploring the mysterious factory, all while protecting your territory from the mechs of other encroaching factions
- Ark Nova – Build Your Zoo Your Way – With The Ultimate Goal Of Owning The Most Successful Zoological Establishment, You Will Build Enclosures, Accommodate Animals, And Support Conservation Projects All Over The World. You Can Even Release Animals Back Into The Wild.
- Key to the Kingdom – Race through the Demon King’s ever-changing domain. Use all of your cunning and luck to overcome outrageous obstacles and track down three pieces of a magical key. The first one to defeat the Demon King wins the game.
- Lost Ruins of Arnak – Explore jungles, find artifacts, and discover the Lost Ruins of Arnak! Lead rival expeditions to a newly discovered island. Through a unique combination of worker placement and deckbuilding, each expedition attempts to uncover the island’s secrets.
- Everdell – A fantastical city building game combining worker placement and strategic card play to create a new civilization. Gather resources to build fanciful Constructions and recruit colorful Critters to make your city thrive.
- WingSpan – You are bird enthusiasts—researchers, bird watchers, ornithologists, and collectors—seeking to discover and attract the best birds to your network of wildlife preserves. But being strategic in your bird habitats is key to winning and it takes more skill than one might think to cultivate the right flock.
The Best Board Games for Teens
Hasbro Gaming Taboo Classic Game, Party Word Guessing Game for Adults and Teens, Board Game for 4+ Players Ages 13 and UpBamboozled – A Hilariously Fun Bluffing Dice & Card Game. Family-Friendly Party Game for Kids, Teens & Adults. Fast and Easy to LearnHasbro Gaming Clue Conspiracy Board Game for Adults and Teens,Great Halloween Party Game,Secret Role Strategy Games,Ages 14+,4-10 Players,45 Minutes,Mystery & Party GamesHasbro Gaming Scattergories Classic Game, Party Game for Adults and Teens Ages 13 and up, Board Game for 2+ PlayersTaco Cat Goat Cheese PizzaThrow Throw Burrito by Exploding Kittens – A Dodgeball Card Game – Family-Friendly Party Games – for Adults, Teens & Kids – 2-6 PlayersUnstable Unicorns Unstable Games Card Game – A Strategic Card Game and Party Game for Adults & TeensTicket to Ride Board Game | Family Board Game | Board Game for Adults and Family | Train Game | Ages 8+ | For 2 to 5 players | Average Playtime 30-60 minutes | Made by Days of WonderTrivial Pursuit Decades 2010 to 2020 Board Game for Adults and Teens, Pop Culture Trivia Game for 2 to 6 Players, Ages 16 and UpPandemic Board Game (Base Game) | Cooperative Board Game for Adults and Family | Ages 8+ | 2 to 4 players | Average Playtime 45 minutes | Made by Z-Man GamesAzul Board Game – Strategic Tile-Placement Game for Family Fun, Great Game for Kids and Adults, Ages 8+, 2-4 Players, 30-45 Minute Playtime, Made by Next Move GamesAlderac Entertainment Group (AEG) Cascadia, Award-Winning Board Game Set in Pacific Northwest, Build Nature Corridors, Attract Wildlife, Ages 10+, 1-4 Players, 30-45 Min, FlatOut GamesMattel Games Escape Room in a Box: Flashback, Escape Room Game with 19 Puzzles and 4 Locks, Can Pair with Amazon Alexa, For Adults and Teens 13 Years Old and UpThames & Kosmos EXIT: The Enchanted Forest| A Kosmos Escape Room Game in a Box| Family Friendly, Card-Based at-Home Escape Room Experience for 1 to 4 Players, Ages 12+ , BlackSplendor Board Game (Base Game) – Strategy Game for Kids and Adults, Fun Family Game Night Entertainment, Ages 10+, 2-4 Players, 30-Minute Playtime, Made by Space CowboysCarcassonne Board Game (BASE GAME) | Board Game for Adults and Family | Strategy Board Game | Medieval Adventure Board Game | Ages 7 and up | 2-5 Players | Made by Z-Man GamesHUES and CUES | Vibrant Color Guessing Game Perfect for Family Game Night | Connect Clues and Colors Together | 480 Color Squares to Guess from | Award-Winning Board Game | 3-10 Players | Ages 8+IELLO: King of Tokyo, New Edition, Strategy Board Game, Space Penguin Included in the Box, For 2 to 6 Players, 30 Minute Play Time, For Ages 8 and Up
Even More Best Board Games for Teens
1) Taboo- One of my all time favorites. This fast paced game of words is sure to induce laughter. Playing in teams makes this great for groups or family game night. The newer version has been completely updated with relevant cultural phrases but the “buzzer”(think small box you’re allowed to beep at the following team) is still a part of things so that in itself makes the game worth it! Seriously, what teen doesn’t want a chance to bleep out her parents? 😉
2) Telestrations – This is a visual version of the “telephone”(whispering in one another’s ears in grade school) game. No drawing skills required, stick figures and a sense of humor necessary, this game will have everyone laughing and is sure to spawn inside jokes that’ll last for years!
3) Trivial Pursuit Party Game – This isn’t the game you exactly remember. This edition is designed to be faster paced and with various wild spots, players are permitted to choose their own category to answer questions about, plus, you’re allowed to ask a friend if you’re uncertain. This is great one for teens through grandparents to play as the categories cover a wide range of topics.
4) Apples to Apples – The hilarious game of wacky comparisons is a huge hit with teens and adults. This game is fairly straightforward so it’s perfect for newbies or youth social activities. A bonus in this game is that players are given the opportunity to explain/defend their comparisons which is a fantastic learning experience!
5) Risk – Let’s switch gears from the chatty games and take this game, perfect for only 2 players, more if desired. The game of global domination requires strategy, logic, and skill as you command an army in it’s quest to defeat the enemy. This was a big favorite of my hubs as a young man and remains popular among the teens I surveyed.
6) The Settlers of Catan – This is a newer and extremely popular game, especially among young teens. Designed for up to 5 players, the overall strategy is to gather resources and successfully settle a new land and each time the game is played, things are different, lending itself to long term play. There are several sets that may be purchased as add-ons to keep the game going once players conquer this initial edition.
7) Loaded Questions – Silliness abounds in this crazy game of “What If” and this is perfect for groups or just your family game time. With over 1 million games sold, the reviews and sales speak to the fact that this is a no brainer, it’s fun in a box!
8) Word On The Street – Described as a hilarious tug of words, this game is full of excitement and laughter. Teams try to distract one another from forming words and pull them to their side of the street. Oodles of excellent reviews and raves from young adults to grandparents. I’m grabbing one for our family and my word loving’ teen!
9) The Awkward Storyteller Straightforward party game for 4 to 11 players aged 16 and up. The format is certain to get participants smiling, interacting and thinking up original twists and plot lines for their story, which they make up as they go along, for the entertainment of the other players and anyone else who is listening.
10) Zobmondo This Would You Rather Game is full of crazy questions and hilarious situations that let your imaginations run wild!
11) Pocket Ungame Non competitive and perfect ice breakers, excellent for classrooms, parties and youth groups. Enjoy at the family dinner table or with friends!
12) Quelf Obey the cards to win! Each card will ask the player to do something terribly silly! Take the challenge and advance or forfeit and move back!
13) Exploding Kittens The most backed kickstarter project in history is here and this funny game is causing big laughs all over the game tables! Family friendly and still appealing for teenagers.
14) Codenames Social word game pitting each other as master spies struggling to avoid an assassin. Strategy and critical thinking skills are sharpened.
15) Goatlords This game guarantees hilarious fun for all ages and is an hysterical commentary on current culture. There’s silliness for all with this game!
16) Coup In a dystopian world, this is your chance to manipulate, bribe and scheme to make it to absolute power.
17) Fact or Crap Fast paced game that lets you decide what’s real and what’s bologna. Perfect for multi generations and expanding your trivia knowledge.
18) Time’s Up Race against the clock to name books, movies and more to show your cultural savvy. Competitive yet fun, this will get the hearts racing and create hilarious memories!
19) Moods Love this one for helping tweens and teens express emotions and learn to effectively identify them in others, all while laughing hysterically! Perfect for parties or classroom fun!
20) Picwits If your teen loves Apples to Apples, this is definitely for you! The concept is similar but uses pictures instead of words.