Cheese. Yes, just cheese. Almost anything is better with cheese and I love any recipe that has cheese as one of it’s ingredients. That is why this recipe for Cheesy Potato Soup is one of my favorites.
Cheesey Potato Soup is one of those delicious meals that everyone loves and is great for busy nights and easy to reheat if dinner happens in shifts at your house! I really do love my crockpot but there are some days that I’m not prepared enough to throw everything together before heading out the door in the morning.
The wonderful thing about this soup is that you can easily make it on the stovetop and still pull off a yummy meal in a short amount of time, no crockpot required!
Okay, let’s talk about the Velveeta…don’t freak out! I know, I know, but this super melty cheese just belongs here. Look away, just pretend you don’t know anything about it except the lovely cheesy taste. Oh, and I throw shredded carrots in, to counteract the Velveeta! 😉 This recipe also freezes well and is good for the lunchbox thermos, to take a friend, or serve at book club. I like to be fancy and sprinkle bacon & green onion on top, like I’m at a fun restaurant instead of a sticky table with a bunch of kiddos scheming ways to wrangle dessert.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp. of butter
- 2 14oz cans of chicken broth
- 1 32 oz bag of frozen, Southern style hash browns( the little cubes)
- 1 can of cream of celery soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1.5 cups of milk
- 24 oz of Velveeta Cheese
- 1 bag of shredded carrots
- 1 pkg. of bacon(cook thoroughly) , green onions for garnish
- Saute the onion & garlic in butter in the bottom of a large stock pot
- After onion is translucent, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil
- Add the potatoes, bring to a boil, add the undiluted soups & milk
- Bring back to a boil, add the cheese and stir until melted, remove from heat
- Add shredded carrots & stir well
- Top with crumbled bacon & green onion right before serving