When it comes to dinner, I’m not a great planner of meals. Our schedule fluctuates quite a bit depending on which of my 4 kiddos has dance, sports, or church activities during the week. This simple chicken and rice is quick to pull together and has the added benefit of providing leftovers for lunches and usually another dinner.
You’ll need the shredded chicken I’ve described here, and just a few other ingredients. My kiddos aren’t fans of the peppers but they can easily pick them out, hence why I don’t chop them finely. I’ve also used this meal to take friends and it’s always a hit, with plenty of leftovers!
- 1 lb. poached chicken breasts
- 1 bag of yellow rice
- 1 10oz can of Rotel tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions
- While rice is cooking, chop the peppers and drain the Rotel
- Mix the poached and shredded chicken with all the ingredients, then add the rice when it is finished cooking.
- Warm in the oven until heated through, usually only 5-7 minutes if the chicken was cold. Otherwise, serve immediately!