My first experience with this delicious Chocolate Toffee Trifle was at a church potluck way back when and it’s a crowd pleaser that I love to serve! One of the best things, besides the outstanding taste of course, is how simple it is to make! Let’s get baking!
I use a Devil’s Food Cake mix but your favorite chocolate flavor will work just fine! Skor candy bars are my favorite ones to use but they take a tad more effort to find where I live so I went with the Heath bars, which are still yummy! I bake the cake the day before and make the pudding so it’s quick to assemble right before dessert time.
I bought a trifle bowl years ago and have found so many fun things to use it for besides this yummy dessert! It’s perfect for fresh fruit and salads, too! I cut the cake into 2″ squares and add a layer to thte bottom of the bowl, then spread a layer of the chocolate pudding mixture, a layer of toffee candy, then the Cool Whip. I repeat the layering twice or until the bowl is full. I like to top with extra chunks of candy…I’m dramatic like that.
I’ve doubled and tripled the recipe before and used a punch bowl to feed a crowd, it’s always a good conversation piece. 😉
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- 1 lg. box of Instant Chocolate Pudding
- 2 16oz tubs of Cool Whip
- 25 miniature size toffee candy bars or 5 full size ones
- Bake cake in a 9x13 pan, according to package instructions, let cool & cut into 1" squares.
- Make instant pudding according to the directions, let sit in refrigerator for approx. 15 minutes and then fold 1 tub of cool whip in, return to fridge until you're ready to assemble.
- Chop candy into chunks beforehand, stick in fridge if it's humid or too warm so it won't clump together, until you're ready to use it.