This post has been sponsored by Hurst Beans, but the content is completely my own.
It’s chilly outside and you’re looking forward to a cozy evening inside with your family. Maybe you are planning a family game night or just want to relax and snuggle up together watching a favorite movie. Dinner is the last thing on your mind, but you know all these mouths of yours are going to want to be fed.
Why not pull together a big pot of Great Northern Beans and Ham Soup. There’s nothing better when the weather is cold and this recipe only requires three ingredients. You can also easily make it ahead of time and even freeze the left overs for another night. Soup is the ultimate easy and healthy meal.
Bean soup has always been one of my favorites. My Grandmother used to make big batches of soup at the holidays using leftover ham or turkey and I almost enjoyed it more than the big celebration meal. All the grandkids would curl up with a big bowl of the piping hot soup in the living room and watch classic holiday specials. I have so many good memories of those times spent together.
I’m sure that’s why to this day I still love to make soups of all kinds and why I really love this Great Northern Beans and Ham Soup recipe from Hurst Beans. It’s so easy to make and just perfect for leftover holiday ham (or turkey if that is what your family likes this time of year).
What I love most (and I think you will too) is that it only requires three ingredients.
Here’s what you will need:
1 20 oz Package of Hurst Great Northern Beans
1 medium white onion diced
1-2 cups of ham or turkey cubed or in small pieces
How to Prepare:
Rinse the beans and discard any unwanted debris, then soak the beans in a large pot covered with 8 cups of water overnight (or at least six hours). Drain the beans and then add them back to the pot along with the onions and the ham. Add eight cups of water and bring to boil. Turn down the heat to low, cover and let simmer for about an hour and half. A few minutes before you are ready to serve add the flavor packet from the Hurst Great Northern Beans along with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with some warm crusty bread and you’ve got a delicious meal that the whole family will love. Also, if you have leftovers, they freeze beautifully for a quick meal another busy evening or you can use them to send in kids lunches later in the week.
Great Northern Beans and Ham Soup
- 1 20 oz Package of Hurst Great Northern Beans
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 1-2 cups of ham or turkey cubed or in small pieces
- Rinse the beans and discard any unwanted debris.
- Soak the beans in a large pot covered with 8 cups of water overnight (or at least six hours).
- Drain the beans and then add them back to the pot.
- Add the onions and the ham.
- Cover with eight cups of water and bring to boil.
- Turn down the heat to low, cover and let simmer for about an hour and half.
- A few minutes before you are ready to serve add the flavor packet from the Hurst Great Northern Beans.
- Salt and pepper to taste and Serve.